February 6, 2014

Butterfly Sling Purse

Like a kid at Christmas, I was up early on Feb. 1st awaiting the arrival of the new pattern from the Bag of the Month Club.  I hope I'm not the only one that can't sleep knowing what will come in my email on the 1st of the month!!  Am I ???  This month's pattern is called the Butterfly Sling Purse and it was designed by Janelle at Emmaline Bags.  So many patterns are for big bags, that I sometimes have to hunt for  ones that are just for carrying what you need for that quick trip to the grocery store, etc.  This bag is perfect!

I have been making so many black/brown/gray/boring colored bags lately because of it being winter and that is what is most requested now, that I thought I would anticipate Spring (hard to do with 6-7 inches of snow on the ground).  Trying to remember why I chose the name "shades of BOLD" to begin with, I searched my fabric stash for something bright.  I think I found it!


 I made only a few minor adjustments to this pattern.  The pattern called for 1 inch rectangle rings and adjustable slider.  I only had 1 1/4 inch so I widened the two shoulder strap pieces and the shoulder strap tabs to accomodate my hardware.  It also called for 1 inch zippers but I like the more substantial 4.5 long pull zippers that are 1/4 inch wider.  I had to widen the the zipper end pieces to match the wider zippers.  That's it!  Here is my finished bag.



The bag is folded in half and held in position by 2 magnetic snaps.  Inside this layer is an ID holder, slip pocket for your phone, and a zippered pocket for bills and change.




When the bag is folded, you can access all of those things without unsnapping the snaps.  Very handy!
 
The outside zippered pockets have a total of 12 slot pockets for your credit cards plus room for other essentials like lip gloss, keys, etc.  What a fun bag to see come together.!!  I know this bag will be a hit with my customers.  A little bit of Springtime in the midst of a bad winter...
 
 

 

18 comments:

  1. LOVE your Butterfly Sling bag Marilyn! Great job! :) So bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. We've had a very bad winter so I needed to brighten things up.

      Delete
  2. I love this bag !!! I agree on the size. I'm more of a smaller bag type of gal, and alot of the patterns I see are for ginormous purses. So when I find a style I like, I usually take it down a few inches. This looks perfect, and I love your colors. I'm also buried under a mountain of snow, so these colors make me wish for spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your post, Dyan. Keep your head up...only 6 more weeks of winter!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Love this bag, Marilyn!! So far with Jan and Feb you are knocking it out of the park. Janelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janelle. A bag only looks as good as the pattern. Thanks for a great one!

      Delete
  4. You might be making one of these for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous Marilyn. I'm also a tester for Christine and share your love of making bags. I've also yet to make the January and February bag.
    I'd love to follow your blog but you don't have a followers list on your side bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so new at this, Maria. I've added some followers lists on the sidebar. Thanks for the help and the kind words. I am very familiar with your beautiful work. Thanks for your interest. Any advice is appreciated...

      Delete
  6. Yay, another bagmaking blog to follow! I love your bags so far, can't wait to follow.. I'm addicted to making them too! I started blogging just over a year now, while I haven't had too much time recently I do love sharing what I do make and meeting some lovely ladies in the process...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been sewing for almost 45 years (did I really just say that???) but I've only been blogging for a week. There is so much to learn but I have enjoyed other blogs for awhile now and just thought it was the next logical step. Thanks for checking it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great version. It says: "Is Spring here yet?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just keeps snowing here in Ohio, Norma. Probably 10 inches on the ground now. But... it's spring in my sewing world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found you from Christine's Bag Brag link. I'm another one of those bag addicts like you, lol!!! I also made the butterfly sling and the Uptown Girl bag. I like the fabrics you chose for both of them. I am following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, I'm trying to get caught up. I've got a spring craft show that I am doing. I sometimes need that date things need to be done by to keep me moving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How can I get ahold of you to place an order? Have tried email ...and get no response???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Karen. You had a good email address. Your message to me went into my spam. I have sent you a message about your order. Thanks.

      Delete