September 14, 2014

Plaid Nappy Bag That a Man Will Carry






I have been very busy even though you might not think it.  I have two more tester bags that I have completed that I can't wait to show you and tell you about.  I have finished another Bigger On The Inside Backpack that I will show you later and I have completed an order for a baby shower gift that I can show you now (the shower was yesterday).

I spoke to the mother to be a while ago and she wanted to know how much fabric she needed to buy for me to make her a diaper (nappy) bag.  She wanted to go find her fabric.  I told her to go look but to let me buy it.  I wanted to make sure the fabric was suitable and thought with coupons, etc. that I had, that I might be able to get a better price.  She walked away from the fabric store overwhelmed!  This is a response I hear from nonsewists all of the time.  What we find fun and a great adventure is a chore and too overwhelming to those who do not sew.  I was surprised the first time I heard this.  I have been enjoying my time in fabric stores since I was 14!

Back to the story.  She knew that she wanted a plaid fabric and it was important to her that it be a bag that a man would carry.  Nothing babyish and nothing too feminine.  To the rescue, my stepdaughter, who decided to make this bag her shower gift and picked out one of the plaids I had recently purchased, an outdoor Solarium plaid that would resist wear and stains.  And the colors were perfect...tan, grey and natural.  Now, what pattern to choose.  How timely that Samantha at Sewing Patterns by Mrs H just came out with a Nappy Bag pattern.  That was my pick.


This bag has everything and then some.  The pattern is not for the novice (actually, it is labeled advanced) but in the end, I was really pleased with the results.





The front of the bag has a front pocket that is secured by a magnetic snap.  Also, in that pocket are two key rings or pacifier rings.




There are two sets of straps on this bag.  One is an adjustable shoulder strap and the other is two shorter grab and go straps. 



The adjustable strap is removeable and attaches on the side of the bag where you have two elasticized pockets.

 


The back of the bag has another slip pocket...




with an enclosed zipper pocket inside.



The bottom of the bag  is quilted to keep the Soft and Stable in place.



The top of the bag has a double zipper for easy access.



The inside is complete with elasticized pockets for diapers and wipes.  There is a bottle ring holder at each side.  The inside of the bag is large to hold anything else necessary.  And there is one zipper pocket, too.



This is a well thought out pattern.  I expected nothing else from the designer, Samantha of Sewing Patterns by Mrs H.  She is expecting her first child soon and I knew she would make a bag she would want to use.  It takes some time to put together and there are a couple of tricky spots but the bag was everything I was looking for.  You can get the pattern here.

And...I got a call after the shower...mother to be loved it!  That is what matters the most!

20 comments:

  1. Wow Marilyn, that is a fantastic bag.You do beautiful work. I love the colors that were used. What a functional bag and I bet the mother-to-be (and the father-to-be) both love it! Great work on your part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. It was a lot of sewing hours, but well worth it.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful and perfect fabric choice for the Dad who will carry it sometimes too. Of course the mother-to-be loved it, who wouldn't love this bag?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful, well-planned bag! And you did your usual awesome job of making it! The fabric is just right, too. I'm going to have to keep that pattern in mind in case I ever get any more grandkids on the way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a word of advice, try not to do it in 3 days!

      Delete
    2. I agree!! It's the cutting out part I hate the most and this bag has a lot of cutting out!! I can't really complain too much, it's my fault lol!

      Delete
  4. Great job! The bag is amazing. Good idea on using outdoor fabric. There are so many neat features. Good pictures too. I always thought the fabric in diaper bags shouldn't be childish and should take into consideration that the father will carry it too (he should do it most of the time). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many cute child fabrics out there but that doesn't seem to be what people want right now. Take a look on pinterest. Lots of chevrons, purse fabrics.

      Delete
  5. I echo everyone else! :) The double swivel clips are a great feature. I like the idea of the quilted bottom--I always forget about doing something like that. It's a great look! What a super job of choosing fabric and giving us some ideas for masculine-izing bags. :)

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krista. I like custom orders because sometimes they take me in a direction I probably wouldn't have gone. It widens my horizons...and I usually end up liking it in the end!

      Delete
  6. Marilyn...that is over the top !! Perfect !!!
    I'm always impressed by your work !! 5 stars *****

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. That means a lot coming from someone that sews like you. You know what this bag is like to make...and didn't you use faux leather????

      Delete
  7. Love the plaid and the versatility of this bag.
    The hidden zip pocket on the outside is perfect for wallets/keys.
    Where do you buy your double zips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy all of my zippers on the etsy store Zipit. If you sew a lot it saves a lot of money.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful bag Marilyn. I love that fabric combo, such a pretty colours. And this pattern is great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorena. The pattern had everything I was looking for.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful bag. I really admire your sewing skills and you're a great pattern tester too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made a very beautiful bag, I like how you made it more 'manly'. This is a versatile pattern, with just a few changes the bag can be used as a weekender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Margareth, it can be an excellent weekender. All of the versatility of this bag was shown by all of the testers' bags.

      Delete