October 8, 2014

Bikes and Firemen Drawstring Backpacks






At the last craft fair I did, I sold the one and only Bigger on the Inside Drawstring Backpack by Dog Under My Desk.  You can get the pattern here.  As holiday bazaar time is approaching, I felt like I needed to make a few more of these.  And make them equal opportunity.  Boys should have something to choose from, too.  So, I chose bikes and firemen!  I had interest from all age groups with my last one but it went to a girl that was about 8-10.  You can see that bag here.



I didn't get a good picture of the inside but it is the same fabric as the straps.




The inside matches the straps here, too.  The fabric has ladders on it to go with the firemen fabric.  The color is more vibrant than shown.



The bottom of these backpacks is where the difference comes into play.  It allows you to get a lot of things in these bags!



I want to make a couple more but first I have to take a trip to the fabric store.  I don't have enough SF 101 to make even one more thing.  Does anyone else go through a whole bolt of interfacing as fast as I do????????

14 comments:

  1. Mariltn, these are great! I can see the one with bikes used by a biker while going out! About the interfacing.... What happens that is gone so fast?! I like to buy them by the bolt from Joann when they are 50% off but sometimes the timing is not right and I use a coupon anyway. Sometimes they have a 25 yd bolt but not all the time. Here in PR fabric stores just carry some cheap interfacing that's no good. Walmart is the only place I find Pellon so I opt to buy online on Joann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy from JoAnn's but the problem is SF101 comes in a 15 yd bolt and is only 20" wide. Why can't we get it 45" wide like fleece? You use a lot of home dec so you probably don't use as much as I do with quilting cottons.

      Delete
  2. What cute fabrics! No, I don't go through interfacing that fast. :) I got my last 10-yard bolt on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I sew everyday and sometimes I lose track of how much I make with it.

      Delete
  3. Marilyn those are great fabrics! I bought some interfacing similar to SF 101 on ebay for much cheaper and it was 58-60" wide too! Where I bought mine, they aren't selling any more, but some similar deals on on this page:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=MED+WT+TIGHT+COTTON+FUSIBLE+INTERFACING+47%22+WHITE+5+YDS&_id=301123143209

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daryl. 58"-60" wide would help tremendously.

      Delete
  4. These bags look amazing. I adore the fabrics you used they're so fun. I get through everything real quick. I've just put in an order for 30 meters of fleece at 44" wide, I have different kind of interfacing for different uses and each one is over 10 meters. The other thing I use alot of is wonder web which I buy by the meter. I think I have about 20 meters of that. Fabric I have loads of but it's never enough. Have fun at the fabric store and try and stay focused if you can LOLL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. I'm having an "Open House" for my handbag business next week in my home. This will be a first. I want to make sure there is enough choices in fabric. (that's my excuse anyway).

      Delete
  5. Love your backpacks. The boy fabrics are great. I might need to make one for my grandson. Enjoyed your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I think gremlins break in to eat my interfacing! I always seem to be out of whatever weight I need.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Judith. Maybe gremlins are to blame. I open a brand new full bolt and the nwxt thing I know I'm stretching what I have left to finish a bag.

      Delete
  6. Marilyn they are amazing !!!! I have two boys (7 and 5) and they are in love with your bags LOLL they are perfect and funny.
    And yes I run out of interfacing faster than food LOLLL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorena. They are great as toy bags, too, especially when travelling.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete